It's a quick and easy recipe with no baking and minimal clean-up. I'm giving you both my original easy no bake recipe and an adapted vegan/dairy-free alternative. Both are equally easy. Just watch out if your kids get a caffeine high from cocoa; don't give them these to eat after dinner!
Easy No Bake Chocolate Easter Bird Nests
With this recipe your kids can learn measuring, mixing, spooning, and safe use of the microwave or stove.
2oz of butter or margarine
1/2 cup of hot cocoa mix (the kind that contains powdered milk)
1/2 cup of sweetened condensed milk
3 cups of cereal flakes - cornflakes or other
24-36 mini sugar-coated chocolate eggs or jelly beans
Dairy-free Alternative Ingredients
2oz of dairy-free margarine
6 tablespoons cocoa powder (the kind without milk)
1/2 cup ground almonds
1/4 cup of honey
3 cups of cereal flakes
24-36 mini sugar-coated chocolate eggs or jelly beans - make sure these are OK for your diet - if you can't find dairy-free/vegan use pieces of colored paper to decorate instead
12 paper cup-cake cases, or a muffin pan, or ramekin bowls
small heat-proof bowl, cup, or mug (for the microwave) or a small pan
1/2 cup measure
tablespoon measure (if making the dairy-free option)
- Gather all ingredients and equipment.
- Measure all ingredients, apart from the butter/margarine and cereal flakes, and place in mixing bowl.
- Cut off 20z of butter or margarine (half a stick) and place in the heat-proof cup or bowl or the pan.
- Microwave the butter or margarine until melted (about 30 seconds) or heat in the pan on the stove until melted.
- Pour the hot, melted butter or margarine into the other ingredients - do this for your child if you are not ready to trust them to do it safely.
- Mix with the spoon.
- Measure and add the cereal flakes then mix until all the flakes are coated.
- Spoon mixture into cupcake cases, muffin pan cups, or ramekins.
- Press down the center to make an indentation for the mini Easter eggs or jelly beans.
- Arrange 2-3 Easter eggs or jelly beans in the center of each chocolate nest.
- Allow to cool and set, which will take at least 60 minutes. You can speed this up by putting them in the fridge.