All green, nature, and sustainability posts have been moved to Loving Nature's Garden

Sunday, July 5, 2009

The Lobster Chronicles by Linda Greenlaw

If you've ever wondered what it's like to live on a small island, off the coast of America, I'd recommend you read The Lobster Chronicles. I picked this book up at my local library earlier this week and read it in about 4 days. Given the viewing figures for The Deadliest Catch, fishing is apparently fascinating to quite a few Americans these days.

Linda Greenlaw is a female lobster fisherman. She is 40 years old and lives on a small island off the coast of Maine, the same island which is home to Acadia National Park. Linda has already written one bestselling book, which I've not read, yet, The Hungry Ocean.

Personally I have a kind of fascination with the way other people live. What does a female lobster fisherman who lives at home with her mom and dad get up to all day? What are her thoughts, challenges and joys? And will she find a husband and get to raise the island family she longs for?

I liked this book because Linda writes well, shares an interesting story with sufficiently detailed and slightly weird characters, and communicates some of the rawness and challenge of life, without being either objectionable or depressing.

Check it out. Let me know what you think.

Read more about The Lobster Chronicles at Amazon.com.

1 comment:

Ruralmama said...

Alison,

My Blackberry is conspiring against me! I tried to respond to this post yesterday and it just wouldn't comply.

Anyway, I too love stories about real people's lives. Even fictional ones that use real history are great. Looks like I need to be looking for this one at the library!

 
Education and Training Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory