Over the years we've learned some neat stuff about cats. It's hard not to learn a few things when you live with them! We've also volunteered at local animal shelters and read books. Our favorite books about cats are: Cats for Dummies, New Guide to Cat Breeds, Cats, Cats and Kittens. Working with cats of course helps us learn many things. You have to be both gentle and assertive at the same time. You have to be responsive and responsible, observant and patient. Sometimes you want to be playful.
Our volunteering for homeless cats began back when Game Boy was a small and very active 6 year old. Most animal shelters don't allow young volunteers below the age of 14yrs or 16yrs, but some allow volunteering with a parent. We only volunteer at no kill shelters where they keep animals unless they are aggressive or incurably sick. Game Boy is good at giving active kitties some playtime, while Artist Girl likes to patiently pet a lonely cat. Miraculously we've managed to come back home without additional animals!
In case you're curious, here's the lowdown on Big Cat:
- loves his food and has to have it many times a day
- loves to tell you that it's time for food, by putting his cold nose on your bare skin usually
- very affectionate when it's time for food - gets right in your face if you're sitting down
- likes smells - dirty laundry, anything plant, and anything that's been outside
- eats anything plant-like regardless of safety - goes wild for catnip
- will flop over and purr when he sees a hairbrush - loves grooming and expects it from Princess Kitty
- in remission from insulin dependent diabetes
Know any pets with strange habits? Please share!